Friday, November 23, 2012

Daughter #2


     I am one of those people who believes everything happens for a reason and we cross paths with a person for a reason. When diagnosed with MSA in 2010 I was the most unlikely person to get this awful disease. I didn’t smoke, didn’t drink, and ate all the right foods. I was a marathon runner after all, I was in amazing shape. Then I was diagnosed. I think this goes to show MSA does not care if you are male or female, how old you are or how healthy you are, this is not a prejudice disease. When you think about it who is better to raise awareness than someone who watches what they eat, knows the importance of physical fitness, and someone who is not what the statics suggest~ a female younger than 50 and healthy, also someone who is technically inclined to get the word out. I fit all this criteria, so I guess I win!

     In 2007 I met this girl on Facebook. She had the same maiden name as my mother. It is not a common name and she comes from the same hometown. I contacted her and turns out she is my cousin; her grandfather and my mother are sister and brother, so that makes her her mother and I first cousins. I have been gone from my hometown a long time and she was only a year old when I left. We started corresponding, only five days later she was accepted in Teachers College here in Ottawa. I sent her some maps and offered to help her find a place to stay.


     When she got to Ottawa we had her over for dinner. After she left we had a family meeting to discuss if anyone had trouble with me asking her to live with us. Even though her and I hit it off I had to respect that other members of our  family might not feel this way. Nobody had a problem with this, so I offered for her to stay with us.


     We had a great year for my daughter, and when my son came home. A cousin was like having a sister for them and another daughter for me. Sisters are special and I wanted them to know this feeling. It was great sharing some common family traditions.  The aunts and the cousins wouldn't have gotten to meet otherwise. She did very well in school and I liked to think we helped with where she is today.

     Ever since then we have kept in contact and when in Ottawa she comes visit. She is coming for a visit today.  This is going to be so hard because  not only do we have a special bond but I was the one who got her into physical activity and now I will greet her with a walker. It is the first time I have seen her since diagnosed with MSA.

     After the initial tears, we had a great visit. We spent two days together. She dyed my hair; we went for a walk, had a coffee and spoiled ourselves at the Swiss Pastry and had some quality time together. The kids came over that night we had dinner and a few laughs.


We had a great visit with sibling #3 and daughter #2, with me, Mom #2! 

No comments:

Post a Comment